You know, you probably aren’t supposed to learn things from a film starring Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, Burgess Meredith, Billy Barty and Dudley Moore.
But I grew up on a little movie called ‘Foul Play’ that we watched constantly when I was a fairly small child, and thereafter as well. Yes, I was too young for some of it at the time, but those bits honestly went straight over my head and never caused me to grow up too fast or anything silly like that.
The following is a list of a few things that did stay with me, however, as I am reminded while I watch on this New Year’s Day -almost 40 years after it was made.
1. The Mikado is very short for an Opera, and has a rather memorable beginning.
2. The basic swear words will take you everywhere you need to go linguistically. “Shit” and “Goddammit” cover most things, while in a really bad jam, all you need is, “Far Out”.
3. Bridesmaid dresses should be great for weddings, a night out on the town, and kidnapping scenarios where running is involved.
4. Snakes should never smoke cigarettes, but are occasionally allowed cookies.
5. Dirty Scrabble is a damn sight harder than it looks. Far Out.
6. Good cops only live on houseboats.
7. Leaving up old flying scenery is helpful for keeping dead bodies off the stage during a performance.
8. Never take a first date to a retrospective film and expect him to buy the popcorn.
9. Beware of the dwarf. Especially if he’s selling fancy bibles.
10. Always take chances again.
11. Never leave home without your umbrella.